Friday, July 25, 2008

"Wurster"

After picking up the truck this morning, we drove the hour west to Worcester (the title of this post is about as close as I can get to spelling it phonetically as people around her pronounce it). We found a nice little restaurant that seems to be a popular place and got lunch, and then went to set up at the expo. Setup went really smoothly for only two of us, up until I gave myself a massive splinter that went under my fingernail and hurt like crazy. I understand now why it's been used as an ancient form of torture. Luckily, I found a nice lady who is another exhibitor at the expo who decided to play mom and spent a good 5 minutes gently pulling with her long nails to get it out. The finger still hurts a bit right now.

After setup, we had a little over an hour to kill before picking up Lyndsay (our help for this weekend, and possibly for the rest of the tour) at the bus station. We wandered around what seemed to be the downtown section of Worcester and found a couple interesting things. The first was a memorial to Major Taylor, whom I had never heard of before. He was a world champion bike racer around the turn of the 20th century, and also notably one of the first African American Athletes to rise to an elite level in American sports.



The other cool thing we stumbled upon was a large memorial with interesting statues on it that honored the local soldiers from Worcester that had died in the civil war.



After picking up Lyndsay, we stopped by the hotel and then decided to get Thai for dinner. It was good, but I still compare everything to the Thai House in Fairbanks, AK and so far nothing has quite matched it. After getting back from dinner, I went for another 5 mile run, and now I'm back catching up online, which is kind of nice since I'm on my computer rather than the work computer. I have bookmarks for all my favorite sites. One of my favorites at the moment is notalwaysright.com - a collection of stories of dumb, scary, and angry customer interactions.

Also, if you saw Iron Man, check out http://speterdavis.com/mcomics_ironman.html for a good laugh or two.

Tomorrow is expo day. Then a load-out from an expo and setting up at the finish line in Webster.

1 comment:

  1. They made an old old old movie on Major Taylor! I don't remember much about it except for the obvious reasons that you have already pointed out.

    ReplyDelete