Sunday, July 6, 2008

Nashville on a Sunday Night

After writing that last post, I decided to wander downtown and see what Nashville was all about.

First off, let me say that I keep tricking myself into thinking it's going to cool off at night so far this trip (I know it will eventually happen further north), but as a result I went dressed in one fleece jacket too many.

Second, it's becoming all too apparent that I need a better camera and a better phone. This problem will be solved shortly.

Anyway, I first started off by investigating the large hole in the ground near our hotel, which will eventually turn into a multi-use high rise owned by Intercontinental Group. I continued towards downtown and came upon some fabulous old architecture, including the Union Station Hotel and the Customs House.







(Customs House)







Next I came upon the main strip of bars, saloons, and clubs in downtown. I was rather surprised by the number of people out on a Sunday night, and equally surprised by the loud live music at most bars. This city is known for country, but if one were to judge solely by the drinking scene, it would be a confusing mix of country, jazz, and hip hop. There were also an abundance of cowboy boots for sale, but no one out drinking seemed to be wearing them.







(Numerous boots)







I saw the oddly-shaped AT&T building up close, and made my way down to the riverfront to catch a glimpse of LP Field, where the Tennessee Titans play home games. Near the river I found Coyote Ugly. I took a quick look at Fort Nashborough (not much to see in the dark) and looped my way back around towards the hotel. On the way back, I took a closer look at Sommet Center, the home ice arena for the NHL's Nashville Predators.















As a whole, I was impressed with the livelihood of the city on a Sunday night. Downtown has a very clean, cozy feel with music pouring into the streets and lots of cute girls who aren't afraid to say hi to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment