Monday, July 21, 2008

A lazy work/play day

Today I woke up about 10 after getting a decent night's sleep and got some menial work tasks done before checking out of the hotel and heading down the road to check out Mystic, CT for some early lunch and a good place to get work done.  The Mystic Seaport looked interesting, but I didn't particularly feel like being touristy or spending money.


I also saw Mystic Pizza (famous because of the Julia Roberts movie of the same name) but wanted something different after lots of pizza in New York.  So I took a picture of their sign and moved on.


I ended up finding a shady bench near the docks to have a conference call and write our weekly event report before hitting the road to wind up at the outskirts of Boston.  I ended up getting lucky on Priceline and got upgraded to a 3 star for a price I thought I'd only get a 2 star for in Dedham, MA.  I was even happier when I realized it's about a 3 minute walk from the hotel to the train stop that heads into downtown Boston (about a 15 minute ride).  I checked into the hotel and decided to wander over across the highway to see what I could find for dinner, and I decided it was about time I got around to seeing the Dark Night, so I was happy to find that there was a theater right near the hotel.  Or was there...?



So I was out of luck.  I decided to wander North a couple of miles to downtown Dedham to see if I could find anything to eat that wasn't a Chilis.  Dedham was a really nice, older town with lots of historical buildings.


And much to my surprise and happiness, I found exactly what I had given up looking for.


The movie was definitely extremely dark (not a kids movie by any means) and profoundly heavy.  It was also really good.  At first I wasn't sure I was buying the CGI,  but once I got caught up in the storyline I didn't even notice.

Then I walked back to the hotel in the dark, where I am now.


Tomorrow I'll be taking the truck in for service before catching the train into Boston for the day.  I'll enjoy checking out the city during the afternoon and hopefully meet up with a friend from Oregon in the evening.

1 comment: