Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cutting Branches, Snapping Shots

One of my regular assignments from my aunt and uncle has been pruning trees on their property. At this point, after 8-10 trees, I'd consider myself a near-expert. So yesterday and today I decided to tackle the big tree. Here's the pile I ended up with:



And the highest branches aren't even cut yet.



Today's weather was similar to what's forecasted for the Bay Area next Monday, so I spent some time adjusting camera settings and taking some test shots panning on cars going by. I'm sure I weirded out a few passing motorists by taking pictures of them. Don't worry motorists, I didn't actually want your photo.

It looks like at ISO 400-800 I can get away with 1/125th of a second for objects moving under 20MPH and 1/200-320th for approximately 30MPH. It creates a nice minor action blur while maintaining clarity. As far as zoom, the 70-300mm lens is only useful if I'm at least 30-40 feet away. Any less than that and the 18-55 is my only viable choice. Wondering what on earth I'm talking about? The Tour of California next week, of course!

4 comments:

  1. I think Harry is waiting for you to throw one of those sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an 18-55. Not a fan. You should def. take a look at a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked at the 50mm prime lens. It's a steal of a deal and I'll get around to buying one at some point. But that 18-55 will be important to have a little bit of zoom for the race.

    ReplyDelete